Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My Favorite Teapot

tMy favorite teapot belonged to my (formidable) grandmother and dates from the 1920s or 30s, I suppose. It has seen much use and can tell many stories--it served tea at my mother's wedding, for example. So it makes an excellent subject for sketching. A first sketch a couple years ago (already?):












But lately, I've become a bit irreverent. I've used it for blind sketches done in the Sketch Club--Oh, yes, a friend and I now have a Sketch Club. Members include two grandmothers (founding members), and whichever kids and grandkids happen to be in town. Strictly for fun, once a week.


















I just love those lines. It seems to me the teapot has taken on more life, more personality. The one on the right seems to be flexing its muscles (you go, girl!), while the one on the left seems to be in a prissy snit with nose in the air. Art has to be very fast, lately. 


    

4 comments:

Els said...

Santé, dear Nadia ;-)

Margaret said...

Hmmmm....I have such a vessel too -- part of the silver tea-and-coffee service my father gave my mother, piece-meal over several years. But in my case, I was told the short, fat vessel was for tea and the long, slender one (like the one you've drawn), for coffee...

Mo Crow said...

Love the strength & quality of your line!
Is blind sketching when you follow the edges of the form with your eyes and pen without looking at the paper? if so that's my favourite warm up exercise for getting the hand eye heart connection working.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Well, Mo, I call sketching without looking blind sketching--no idea what it's really called. I'm wondering if it can be done on the machine--gotta try that one of these days!

And you're right, Margaret--it must be a coffee pot.

And thanks for your good wishes, Els. Now I've got to go pick lemons for market!