Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Years Rabbit, 1

Trying to come up with a blog post to kick off the New Year in a festive way.  I had an idea for a sort of blog greeting card, done on a sketchbook page. However, this felt like school homework, so I dragged my feet at getting started. Finally, I picked out a page I had sewn together a while ago.

Once started, I found it fun. Didn't like the corner patch and I was in a festive mood so I checked my fancy fabrics.


As I haven't looked at my stack of fancy fabrics in a long time, they dazzled me. And I remembered how much I like them, how delightfully pleasing they are in all their glitzy, shimmering brilliance.

The down side is, of course, that they're a pain in the neck to work with. As my rule for the sketchbook is "fast" (relatively), I decided to zigzag edges.




I felt like revisiting the old design that I used last year because I'm rather fond of the sometimes mischievous rabbit.  The shiny, creamy brocade seemed perfect, however, it's the type of fabric where you only have one shot: no mistakes allowed or you ruin the fabric.

So I sketched up a pattern, then drew around it with a pencil.














Then I outlined him with free motion stitching in gray (which I'll darken later), added some scraps at the bottom for a platform and zigzagged all the creamy brocade.

What a mess. Fuzz all over......

This is the stage where I'm thinking this is the worst thing I've ever done. I have no idea if this is going to work or not....





but, of course, I'll just keep at it until it works out. Some would say (with annoyance) that I'm frightfully stubborn. I say that's one of my better qualities...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Nadia! Usually when I work with brocades, crepes, etc. I stabilize them by ironing some fusible interfacing on the back, THEN cutting it out. Works better for transferring the pattern too. Love the bun, can't wait to see him in his final form.

Lisa

MulticoloredPieces said...

You know, Lisa, I didn't even think of interfacing (and I do have some). I'll have to consider it next time I pick up these fabrics.