Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Putting Down Roots

For the Pomegranate Tree Quilt I've been trying to figure out how to do roots. I sewed a series of brown strips together to extend across the width of the base of the tree. Then I thought about doing needle turn for roots, which would require a different color behind the brown as a base fabric. Well, I could piece together a base, but, then I remembered an old brocade sitting in my stash in the fancy fabrics section.
This was one of my mother-in-law's curtains, a lovely, heavy fabric. 
The light reflects off of it in different ways.
Because of the slippery nature of this fabric, I cut a backing of harem cloth and basted the two together.   I hand basted through the middle and machine basted around the edge. Then I placed the brown strips on top and hand basted across the top edge and pinned the bottom edge.
Oooooh, this is longer than my dining room table.
I rolled up each side to start in the middle. Oops, I meant to get brown roots, not white. 
More late night stitching. This could take awhile...

Linked to Nina Marie's "Off the Wall Friday".

13 comments:

Nina Marie said...

I can't believe there isn't a touch button on your blog - I want to feel this piece!

arlee said...

oh now that is striking!!! Could you perhaps dry brush the white to add tones of root?

MulticoloredPieces said...

Now that's an interesting idea, Arlee--I'll have to think about it while I play with it some more.

A touch button, Nina--very nice idea!

Mo Crow said...

white roots why not? the feeder roots on lots of trees are white when you dig down cause they don't see the sun!

deanna7trees said...

yes...white roots are quite appropriate. love what you are doing here.

Anonymous said...

Yes, roots can be white.
A fancy fabric section, fun!

Judy Warner said...

It is very effective to use white for those roots.

quilthexle said...

Yes, roots are often white. But as you are the artist - it's up to you, what colour your roots show. Anyway it looks fantastic !

Anonymous said...

Your work is fascinating, I look forward to watching this piece grow:)

Sylvia said...

I love seeing your process! Thanks for sharing.

Linda A. Miller said...

As always I enjoy seeing your process...as others suggested, you could paint in your roots to darken.

jeanne hewell-chambers said...

Like so many others, I like the white roots. LIke them a lot. They speak to me of tenderness, especially anchoring themselves in the earthy colors. Lucky find on that backing fabric - it's perfect.

Carli The Quilter said...

Very intriguing Nadia! Roots, I have some ideas of that nature too!