Sunday, March 31, 2013

On My "Design Wall"

Over at Jude Hill's Diaries, "White" is the theme. Despite the fact that I'm resisting this (and I've already got enough to do), I decided to play a bit. So I laid out a base and cut out some squares for a nine-patch.
The thing is, I associate white with bright light and heat--glare. Yet, when I looked at my stash, I was particularly drawn to the fancy fabrics, the brocades. Probably because light bounces off of brocades in different ways. I used both the right and wrong sides. These fabrics are old friends from flea market evening dresses and formals that I lovingly washed and cut apart to fit into my stash some 20 years ago. And I'm testing out one of my grandmother's doilies that has yellowed.
Then, I decided to extend one side of the nine-patch squares.
Nothing stitched down yet, but, now, I can see lots of possibilities.  I'm looking forward to hand stitching the squares, probably following the designs of the brocades (I mean, look at those roses). And, of course, some needle turn in those extensions.

7 comments:

Roxanne said...

You're a genius Nadia. I'm loving the brocade idea.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Aww, Roxanne, you're making me blush. I just happen to like brocades.

Els said...

Ah ha : "what-if white" !!!
Love the shimmering of the light in the fabric ...
The extensions on "no 5" are just so wonderful !
Good (Easter) weekend, Nadia.

Kit Lang said...

beautiful...

Gina said...

ah yes i did comment at the forum ... love the extension idea ... looking forward to seeing what you do with this. no idea what a 'needle turn' is so i shall keep track !!! >>> Gina (aka fynearts)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Ah, Gina, needle turn = needle turn appliqué. I use a milliner's 7 needle (very long) to sew and turn the edges under on complex, free form appliqué. I especially like the smooth finished look next to raw edges.

Nifty Quilts said...

Wonderful project! Aren't you glad you saved these relics? I'll look forward to seeing your progress.