This page finally materialized to commemorate vacation days at the beach. Many years ago I sketched a series of shells and photocopied one I liked.
I put the photocopy on the back of pieces of fabric and light weight pellon. Then I machine stitched on top of the photocopy (on the back).
For the outlines, I used black thread in the top and bobbin for the white fabric, and white thread in the top and bobbin for the black fabric.
To get the dotted effect for the white fabric, I used white thread on top and black in the bobbin. For the black fabric, black thread on top and white in the bobbin.
I chose a fabric background, but realized I could only use one shell effectively.
I drew in black lines with a permanent marker.
Then I tested the shell on the background and penciled in the text. More stitching to come...