Saturday, January 26, 2013

How Others See Us

I will always be dazzled by internet technology--it's magical. I help Gd1 (first granddaughter, now 10 years old) with her homework most evenings. The other day she was sick at home with a strep throat, but, getting better having been thoroughly medicated. So I asked her why she didn't get out her sketchbook and draw something.
This is the view from Skype. Yup, Gd1 was in that magical box looking at me and decided to draw me while I sewed.  When she had finished drawing me, I asked her what she was going to fill the background with and she said clouds. I said, "Well, that's a nice idea, but look at all these amazing stacks of fabric behind me." Much more interesting, in my mind. She ran with the idea. Then we discussed shading. She also included my pomegranates in front of me with needle and thread--and the lamp.

I'm rather tickled by this drawing for a variety of reasons, one of them being that I can't do this myself. That is, I am unable to see myself and have never tried a self-portrait. Don't know why, could be hidden issues of self-esteem--I'd rather not analyze it. Maybe, I should give the self-portrait thing a shot, however. I like the view from the magical box....

3 comments:

Els said...

Ahhhhhh Nadia, you have a very talented granddaughter !!!!!!
(has it rubbed of in your family ;-) ....? looks like it !)
Have a good weekend !

Nina Marie said...

ohhh love this post and your talented gd! If you want to see how the internet has effected a child's creativity - all you have to do is look to my daughter. By the age of 7 she had a whole website in ode to the color pink (which was the bestest color ever). She found deviant art (a popular creative site) and started writing fan fiction - which has blossom into a whole new passion - she reads manga online and started drawing anime and teaching herself Japanese. And the last year or so she literally has taught herself piano - off the internet. I'm always in awe of the things she has learned - just because we have a modem! (and a good nanny-filter!)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Thanks, Els. I do my best to encourage creativity and artistic endeavors for my granddaughters, which they will not necessarily get in school. Teachers are so burdened these days, overworked, underpaid and still dedicated. And Nina, you daughter is a wonder! The marvel of technology. I too am amazed at how much kids can learn from the internet...when it's a controlled environment.